I've read quite a number of books over the last year, many of them were terrific reads, but then just about any book I actually read through to the end is a good one, since I will cast a book aside if it hasn't grabbed me by page one hundred. With that in mind, here are some titles that stood out for me - listed in NO particular order. You'll note that only two of the books (Trigger and Chicago) are Fiction. (Note: I read these in 2013, but they weren't necessarily released in 2013).
- Chris Hedges - Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt
- Chris Hedges - American Fascists
- Sean Chercover - Trigger City
- Howard Shrier - High Chicago
- Thomas Frank - Pity the Billionaire
- Patti Smith - Just Kids
- Robert B. Reich - Beyond Outrage
If I had to say which of the above was my favouirte, I'd have to pick Just Kids. I sobbed like a two year old when I finished it. Big fat tears rolled down my face... Yes, really. It was that good, that poignant.